BLOUNTVILLE — A Watauga man previously indicted for alleged theft of a contract payment has been indicted in two new cases involving alleged home improvement contract fraud.
A Sullivan County grand jury on Tuesday indicted Don W. Scalf, 38, 321 Wade Bulla Road, Watauga, on two counts of home improvement fraud, a Class D felony.
In each case, the indictments allege Scalf failed to refund “amounts paid under a contract for home improvement services” valued at more than $1,000 but less than $10,000 within 10 days of refusal to accept certified mail sent to his last known address by the alleged victim. The indictments further state that “a substantial portion of the contracted work” had not been completed, more than 90 days had elapsed since the contracted start date, and a copy of the alleged victim’s refund request had been sent to the consumer protection division of the office of the attorney general.
In one case, according to an affidavit filed Jan. 30, Scalf allegedly accepted a $5,400 payment to purchase materials for a roofing job at 401 Taylor St., Bristol, with a contract signed July 6, 2011. The alleged victim contacted police on Dec. 30, 2011, advising Scalf had not completed the work.
The alleged victim told police that when he asked for a refund Scalf responded that he “couldn’t give him the refund because his family wouldn’t have a good Christmas.”
An affidavit filed in the second case alleges Scalf accepted a $3,180 down payment for a $5,300 contract to complete repairs at a Bluff City home, then failed to do any work after cashing the check on Aug. 11, 2011.
In both cases, the alleged victims attempted unsuccessfully to send a refund request to Scalf by certified mail earlier this year.
In August, Scalf was indicted on a charge of theft over $1,000 after he allegedly accepted more than $6,000 as a down payment to complete another roofing job, then failed to do any work.
Others indicted Tuesday and their charges include:
• Eugene Keeler, 36, 245 Highway 75, Blountville, aggravated assault, reckless endangerment.
• Joseph L. Lawson, 29, last known address 1000 Stonegate Road, D1, Kingsport, burglary, theft $1,000 or more, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.
• Deborah Faye Wilson, 61, 706 Chester St., No. 2, Bristol, Va., theft over $1,000.
• Mark Edward Smith, 38, 137 Thorpes Chapel Road, Rogersville, worthless check.
• Travis M. Lane, 30, no permanent address, public intoxication, aggravated burglary, arson, vandalism $500 or less.
• Nicholas Trout, 24, 738 Fleetwood Ave., Church Hill, theft $500 or less, public intoxication, possession of marijuana, vandalism over $500, resisting arrest.
• David Allen Nunn, 42, 1406 E. State St., Bristol, Tenn., aggravated burglary.
• Harley J. Sledge, 20, 1044 Fairway Ave., Kingsport, aggravated burglary, theft over $500.
• Terry Michael Chapman, 51, 825 Kentucky Ave., No. 8, Bristol, Tenn., driving on a revoked license, driving on a revoked license after conviction for driving under the influence, failure to appear.
• Amanda Janelle Beatty, 25, 27 Grace Meadows Court, Gray, theft over $500.
• Christina Bennett, 34, 60 Bunner St., Apt. 3, Greeneville, theft over $500.
• Tianna M. Amyx, 22, 3912 Abilene Drive, Kingsport, aggravated burglary, theft over $500.