GATE CITY -- A portion of East Jackson Street in downtown Gate City was shut down for nearly an hour Tuesday afternoon as emergency personnel searched the area for a suspected gas leak.
Gate City Fire Department Chief Jeff Brickey said Scott County Central Dispatch received a call at approximately 1:30 p.m. reporting a strong smell of propane gas on the sidewalk of East Jackson Street near the Kane Street intersection.
Brickey said the report turned out to be a false alarm.
According to Brickey, a propane tank located behind a business near the intersection was identified as the most likely source of the smell. Brickey said authorities believe a release valve on the tank, which had been recently filled, opened momentarily and allowed the propane odor to escape.
No buildings in the downtown area were evacuated as a result of the potential leak.
Crews from the Gate City and Weber City fire departments responded to the incident, as did officers with the Gate City Police Department and Scott County Sheriff’s Office.
Jackson Street was closed from the corner of Kane Street to the Gate City town hall while crews attempted to locate the possible gas leak. The street was reopened around 2:30 p.m.
Brickey said crews checked the ventilation of affected buildings and used multi-gas analyzers to determine the area was safe. Brickey said soak tests were also performed on the fittings of the suspected propane tank to rule out the possibility of a leak.